Friday, November 5, 2010

Mother's Intuition

Last month National Jewish in Denver issued a press release about their "new" findings that asthma might be caused by food allergies in some people. But mothers of food allergic children could have told you this years ago.

"Our study suggests that food allergies may be an important factor, and even an under-recognized trigger for severe asthma exacerbations. People with a food allergy and asthma should closely monitor both conditions and be aware that they might be related," said Andrew H. Liu, a lead research with National Jewish.

The press release also states that, "Researchers could not determine if food allergies actually cause asthma attacks or if asthma and food allergies are both manifestations of a severe allergic profile. They speculated that food-allergic reactions might be triggered in some people with asthma only when combined with strenuous exercise." You can read the rest of the article here.

Seriously? I could have told you all this and more. In fact, I can tell you that food allergen exposure can absolutely cause asthma attacks. Sophie got to the point with her wheat allergy that every single time I boiled pasta made from wheat, she had an asthma attack. Every time! And she almost never has an asthma attack without an allergen exposure. I suspect that if the allergen is atomized by boiling it or using another similar technique, and the food allergic person breathes in the atomized allergen, most people would present with an asthma attack.

I'm glad to see that medical science is catching up with mother's intuition slowly but surely.

1 comment:

  1. When I was first diagnosed, my doctor told me to find a safe soap and scrub down all the kitchen walls to get rid of the proteins from cooking food over the years. I would never have imagined they all were there, but it did help my symptoms.

    ReplyDelete