Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Granola

Homemade granola is a delicious breakfast option, and is much easier to make than you might imagine. Making your own granola allows you to customize it for your own tastes and allergies--no fear of cross-contamination here!

Start by taking the syrup portion from a reliable granola recipe. Be sure to make a mental note of the total number of cups of dry ingredients (grains, seeds and nuts) called for in the recipe. Here's what I used yesterday:

3/4 cup cooking oil (I used canola)
1 1/2 cups honey (although I think the result was a little too sweet, so I'll probably use closer to a cup next time)
15 cups of dry ingredients

In a small pot, heat and stir the oil and honey until they combine. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well with a large spatula (or maybe with your hands, lol!) Spread evenly over 2 large cookie sheets. Bake in a 325 oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Granola is ready when it begins to brown. Cool completely and then store in an airtight container.

For the dry ingredients, use your imagination! You can use any combination of grains, cold cereals, puffed grains, and seeds that is safe for you.

I used 8 cups of oats, 2 cups each of Kix, Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, and 1 cup of flaked coconut. I have tried all kinds of other things, too. My family likes different combinations, so I use whatever I have on hand. Here are some suggestions (please pick things you are sure are safe for you and your family!):

puffed rice
puffed corn
quinoa
rolled oats
cold cereals
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds
coconut
flaxseed

Another way to spice up your granola--literally--is to add powdered spices to it. I like to mix the spices into my grain/seed mix before I add the syrup. Try adding one of these:
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Or something else you think up on your own!

After your granola is mixed, baked and cooled, you can add dried fruit--anything that sounds good to you. Dried apples and raisins are delicious with cinnamon granola. An alternative to dried fruit is to eat your granola with fresh fruit and milk or yogurt made from a source that is safe for you (cow's milk, soy, rice, etc.).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment