Friday, March 4, 2011

Disney and Food Allergies

When I saw this article this morning, Disney Awarded For Food Allergy Awareness, it immediately caught my eye. My husband and I took our kids to Disneyland a few years ago. I was very nervous about the trip, because of Sophie's food allergies. We planned to pack in some of our food every day that we were at the park, but we also wanted to eat at some of the restaurants. In fact, as we planned the trip, we decided that we wanted to go to a character breakfast. We found the Disney staff to be accommodating in every way possible. At every restaurant, a chef was available to talk with us about Sophie's allergies. At buffets, the staff was willing to obtain items from the kitchen for Sophie (this was important to me so that we could avoid cross-contamination from people mixing up serving utensils, etc.). We were also offered the opportunity to order items that weren't necessarily on the menu. In every way, the Disney staff demonstrated that they both cared about Sophie's health and just plain wanted her to have a good time. It was wonderful, and I am glad to see them recognized for their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment