Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lots of reading

Oh my, time has passed quickly! Our family loves tradition, and as soon as December hit, the kids were begging to bake Christmas cookies, make caramels, buy and wrap presents, decorate the house and yard, etc., etc. In the midst of all of that, I read Don't Kill the Birthday Girl by Sandra Beasley. Ms. Beasley is an adult who has had life-threatening food allergies her entire life. She covers her own experiences and thoughts about food allergies, as well as explaining food allergies and food allergy research from a technical viewpoint. Her book is well-written and fascinating, and brought up a number of issues I hadn't considered about Sophie's life after being a little kid, including these:
1. kissing
2. cafeterias (think college dorm life)
3. roommates
4. varieties of peer pressure.

I recently discovered that there is another type of food allergy memoir recently released. This is a mother's account of her family's journey through the food allergy maze: Susan Weissman's Feeding Eden. I look forward to reading it as well. We are blessed to live in a time when we have easy access to the experiences of others, and can learn and grow from them.

1 comment:

  1. I added Weissman's book to my Goodreads list, thanks!

    (Even without the issue of allergens, I'm sure you're not ready to put 'Sophie' and 'kissing' in the same sentence!)

    ReplyDelete