There is a list of things that make me crazy, and not in a good way. I started to post that list here. But as I began typing the items, I felt so hypocritical. The things that make me crazy (because of their implications for Sophie) are also things that Sophie loves when she can participate in them. She doesn't love them because of novelty, she truly loves things that involve food. For example, it makes me crazy that so many people include decorating a cookie as a party activity, but Sophie loves to decorate cookies. She also loves to bake, or cook, or make up recipes, or do anything that involves food and a kitchen. Of my four girls, Sophie is hands-down the best in the kitchen. Over the summer when I broke my leg, everyone took turns cooking. On Sophie's nights, she didn't have to ask questions, wasn't nervous about whether this or that looked right or worried about things turning out. She just jumped in and cooked (I can't say the same for her 2 older sisters). Sophie can read and follow a recipe, which I think is impressive, since many 4th graders still barely understand fractions, and has the confidence to know the recipe will work.
Instead of writing about things that make me crazy, I think it is more appropriate to write about things that make me happy.
10 Things That Make Me Happy*
1. My kid who needs to be able to cook loves to cook.
2. Sometimes people serve hot dogs (instead of pizza) at kids' parties.
3.Party games that involve food often also require a judge, so not everyone has to touch the food.
4. Frosting is nearly always Sophie Safe, even though cookies are almost never safe.
5. My youngest chooses not to pass out food to her class for her birthday, Valentine's Day, etc.
6. Sophie chooses to make and pass out cookies or other treats to her class for her birthday, Valentine's Day, etc.
7. Not all crafts involve food. In fact, most don't.
8. Cross-contamination issues can almost always be solved using soap and water.
9. Benadryl is around for when the soap and water wasn't enough.
10. Other people are always willing to help me help Sophie when they have enough information to do it.
*The word "Happy" may or may not indicate tears.